Calling All Empaths
Do you feel exhausted, drained, anxious, cranky, and or experience fitful sleep after working with clients for an extended period of time? Do you feel that way when walking through crowds, watching the news, or just being yourself in the world? If so, you are probably, like me, highly empathic (90% empathic according to David Markowitz author of Self-Care for the Self-Aware: A Guide for Highly Sensitive People, Empaths, Intuitives, and Healers, a book I highly recommend.
I am learning, and slowly coming to peace with the fact that my hyper empathic nature is my gift. It allows me to help others bring to light the unconscious or conscious blocks that can cause stagnation in their creative flow. However, being a sponge has its limitations: once our empathic “sponge” gets full, we have to figure out how to (metaphorically) wring it out, without wringing ourselves out in the process.
Here are some self-reminders, and questions that I have implemented for myself, and hopefully they will assist you on the path from sponge to funnel.
Try to say each of the following out loud to yourself as many times a day as possible; you may want to post them in prominent places in your home:
- What is my truth at this moment?
- Am I in a habitual pattern of reactive behavior, or am I in my truth?
- Is this my truth, or a truth belonging to someone else?
- I am not responsible for anyone else’s soul path.
- Whatever flows through the Heart chakra, I keep what’s meant for me and I let go of what’s not meant for me. I welcome the energetic flow, and I know I’m not responsible for keeping what’s not mine.
- I am loveable because I am.
- I welcome my inner Dalai Lama-ness (or choose another person you feel exists happily in his or her truth).
- I send out love and I do not worry about what comes back.
- I am not attached to outcomes.
When you have embodied, as I am still learning to, at least some of these reminders, they will become a valuable part of your healing practice, a tool to help you maintain boundaries without sacrificing flexibility and compassion.
Many Blessings ~ Melinda
We are here to help if you need a little nudge, push, or tap on the shoulder. If you’d like to learn more about self-healing, please schedule an Intuitive Reading, together we’ll create a plan tailored specifically to your needs and experience.
This essay is based on my personal conversations with David Markowitz
This material is copyrighted. © 2014 Melinda Iverson Inn www.melindaiversoninn.com – You are free to share, copy, distribute and display the work under the following conditions: You must give author credit, you may not use this for commercial purposes, and you may not alter, transform or build upon this work. For any reuse or distribution, you must make clear to others the license terms of this work. Any of these conditions can be waived if you get the permission of the copyright holder. Any other purpose of use must be granted permission by the author.